All the berries are in season and on sale. But what happens when you have too many berries? The answer: Whip up a quick and easy dessert for your family sure to impress. This is a traditional French dessert I added almonds and cherries to, but you can also use the recipe for other berries. We love fresh cherries in our home. I had never heard of a clafouti before I started food blogging. I have seen it on several blogs last year and was waiting for cherry season to come back around so I could try a recipe. I have been blown away by this dessert. It was so easy to put together, and so tasty. I don’t think I can put into words how good this is. The cherry and almond combination in the warm eggy custard is just to die for. I researched several recipes before combing a few to come up with this one. The main base was inspired by the Julia Child and recipe. The almond addition I first saw on Simply Recipes, and the cornstarch trick was borrowed from Epicurious. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
Note: Traditional Cherry Clafoutis do contain the pits of the cherries too, but I opted to remove the pits for the recipe. (Mostly because I was a dental hygienist for so long and hope no one gets a cracked tooth from my recipes, that would be just awful!)
Cherry Clafouti Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs pitted fresh cherries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- butter to grease pan
- a 1 1/2 – 2 quart baking dish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pit and halve cherries. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to cherries. Toss to coat.
- Grease pan generously with butter.
- Make batter by adding milk, eggs, flour, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and almond extract to a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour over cherries. Top with almonds and bake at 325 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes, or until lightly browned and when clafouti passes the toothpick test.
- Serve warm.