Delicious chicken parmesan, this is one of our go to easy comfort food dinners. I make this dish in the same basic method that I use for my eggplant parmesan. I fry the chicken, and then add the sauce. This was actually the first time, after much begging, that I found San Marzano tomatoes in my Publix. I was so excited, they finally listened. We love all types of Italian food at our home. Not only is Italian the most popular ethnic cuisine in the U.S., southerners have quite a love affair with all things Italian. My husband’s grandmother was also Sicilian, so I try to honor our only known heritage with some Italian inspired dishes at least once a week. Its still on my list to learn Sicilian dishes, there is so much to learn!
I also want to talk today again about Adopt-a-blogger. A few posts back, I shared with you guys my adopter’s culinary background, which was quite impressive. On our introduction to each other, we had to describe our culinary backgrounds. Of course mine is pretty much non-existent, but I did pull something outs my, well you know. You can read it here at Jackie’s site.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, pantry type
- 1 teaspoon Italian dried herbs (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, and sage)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano or Italian tomatoes with basil flavor, I like Cento
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, and sage)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- kosher salt
- olive oil
Pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat saucepan for sauce. Drizzle with olive oil. Add onions and garlic, saute until translucent. Add kosher salt. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and herbs. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Preheat about 1 inch deep of vegetable oil in a large skillet for frying the chicken to 350 degrees, or on medium heat. Whisk eggs and dip chicken in eggs. Add breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, dried herbs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Dredge chicken in bred crumb mixture. Fry chicken until it is browned.
- While chicken is frying and sauce is simmering, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, and add half of the sauce to the pasta.
- Serve chicken topped over pasta, topped with more sauce. Add more parmesan or Italian blend cheese if desired.