Our Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
This is my easy, go to recipe for mac and cheese. I like to prepare mine on the stovetop. I make an easy roux based cheese sauce and add whatever shredded cheese I have on hand. My favorite is to do sharp cheddar cheese, but I have also done mac and cheese with every variety of cheese that comes shredded in a bag. I also vary the type of spices I use in the mac and cheese, depending on the food I am preparing it with and the type of cheese I am using. My son as well as my husband love this classic comfort food, and I prepare it about once a week. I have also used elbow pasta, as well as the rotini and penne pasta. I topped this mac and cheese with fresh tomatoes from my patio. I bought a Burpee hybrid tomato plant for a patio container. The plant and tomatoes are beautiful, but the taste of the tomato was disappointing. It was surprisingly bland and unexciting. Next year I’ll just plant a beefsteak tomato plant in a larger pot with a cage.
Our favorite Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Melt butter in skillet. Add onion, garlic and seasonings. Add flour and whisk to combine. Cook the roux until it smells nutty.
- Add milk and whisk to combine. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. When mixture starts to bubble and thickens, turn heat to low.
- Add cheese and whisk until it has melted. Add macaroni back to pot and simmer for about 2 minutes.