Paella Rice Salad
Here is a great way to enjoy paella flavors in the heat of summer. The other day it was so hot, and I had a craving for paella. Mainly because my son keeps taking out a link of chorizo from the freezer and asking me to cook it. But it was just too hot to eat anything but a cool dish, so I just put this together. I only cooked the saffron with the rice, and left all the veggies raw. It turned out really good, my husband even liked it better than a cooked paella, and said it was the best dish so far this month. This dish is really versatile too, because you can use different kinds of veggies and different meats. I think next time I’ll just get pre-cooked shrimp and Spanish chorizo and add some peas.
Paella Rice Salad
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a small pinch of saffron (about 10 strands)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 links Mexican or Spanish chorizo (I used Mexican)
- a small bunch of cilantro, chopped fine (about 1 cup before chopping)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add rice, water, saffron, oil and salt to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Immediately cover with a lid, and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from heat, and don’t remove the lid. Let it rest for 15 minutes. Before adding the rice to the salad, I spread it on a cookie sheet to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat skillet and drizzle with olive oil. Add chopped chicken and chorizo. Cook until done. Let it cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add chopped onions, green peppers, garlic, cilantro, tomatoes, lime juice, olive oil and cumin. Add cooled rice, chicken and chorizo. Toss well and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to serve.