Spicy Baked Beans
I only make this recipe once or twice a year, and it is such a treat. The bacon makes this dish so wonderful. This recipe also calls for a great sauce that I had the opportunity to try, Country Bob’s sauce. It is full of flavor. You can click here, or on my giveaway button above for a chance to try some for free! You can also click here for the company store. Be on the lookout for their products, they are widely available. I have even found them in Walmart. Just leave me a line with a valid email address to enter for the giveaway. I have also done this recipe without the sauce, and it is very good, but this sauce makes the baked beans extra special. You could also substitute 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce.
- 1 lb great northern beans, soaked overnight
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 jalapeños, chopped, with ribs and seeds removed
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce, or 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- You will either be using a dutch oven in a 250 degree oven for this recipe or your trusty crock pot.
- Soak beans overnight.
- Place bacon and onions in saute pan or a dutch oven and saute until onions are tender. Then place onions, bacon, and all other ingredients in your pot.
- Either place in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours, or in a preheated oven in a dutch oven at 250 degrees for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.