Chili is my favorite dish to have on the first cool day of fall. This is a delicious white chili made with lots of green chilies and smoky cumin. It is very flavorful but contains little heat. This is a perfect chili for the little ones, and is a nice alternative for the traditional tomato based chili. I used canned beans for a quick cooking meal, and also added masarepa to thicken the soup. Masarepa is a quick cooking white cornmeal. You can find it in the Hispanic section of your grocery store. Masarepa is used to make a quick corn pudding. Masarepa is cooked like polenta in milk and water, and then sugar is added for a quick kiddie snack. I have found many uses for masarepa. It worked as a perfect thickening agent for this chili, and gives the most subtle sweetness. Serve with a garnish of avocado slices, your favorite cheese, and sour cream.
More great white chili recipes:
- 2 cans navy beans or cannellini beans, or 1 cup dry beans
- 2 lb ground turkey or chicken, or leftover pulled roasted chicken or turkey
- 2 small cans green chilies
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely ground white cornmeal, masarepa works best
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
- If using dried beans, soak them overnight in 3 cups water, enough to cover. Cook beans in their soaking water, a little olive oil, and kosher salt over a simmer until they are tender.
- Preheat skillet. If you are using ground meat, brown the meat first in a little olive oil. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. If you are using pre-cooked chicken, saute the vegetables first.
- If you used ground meat, wait until the meat is browned, and then add onions and garlic. Saute until softened.
- Then add beans, water, seasonings, and green chilies. Bring this to a boil over medium heat.
- Then sprinkle a thin layer of the white cornmeal on top of the soup, stir in well. Repeat sprinkling a thin layer of cornmeal and stirring until it is all incorporated. Using this method will prevent clumps.
- Adjust salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste and simmer soup for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh avocado slices, cheese, and sour cream.