This is an ooey gooey flourless chocolate cake made with Jack Daniel’s Whiskey in a jar. I also spiked the buttercream with a little whiskey. It’s an indulgence to say the least.
This recipe was created for Babble.com.
For the cake
1 stick butter
8 oz chocolate pieces (chopped fine) or small chips, semi-sweet
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup Tennessee whiskey, I used Jack Daniels
4 oz shortening
4 oz softened butter
1 lb powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk or whiskey
1. In a double boiler, or in the microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir well. Let cool.
2. Add butter and chocolate to a large mixing bowl with sugars. Mix until well combined. Add whiskey and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Mix well. Add salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix very well. .
3. Pour into 4 pint jars that have been sprayed well with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes, or until cakes pass the toothpick test. (And they have risen and fell)
1. Cream softened butter and shortening in stand mixer with wire attachment.
2. Add sugar. Mix on low until combined. Turn mixer to high. Add a little of the milk or whiskey at a time, until icing is light and fluffy.
3. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes 4 large servings
Note: All the whiskey does NOT cook out of the cake, so it is NOT kiddie-friendly.