Top Sirloin Carne Asada Burrito
This is a quick and easy recipe for a carne asada burrito, perfect for a quick weeknight meal. Carne asada is traditionally made with a cheap cut of beef, like skirt steak. However, I rarely eat beef, and when I do, I prefer to spend a little money on a nicer cut of beef. With this recipe, I used top sirloin, and sliced it into small strips before cooking it. Using a top sirloin means it is not necessary to tenderize the meat with a marinade before cooking it either. I simply added some spices to the beef before sauteing it. Sauteing the meat quickly like a stir fry is the key to this quick one dish meal. Make a simple guacamole with avocados, cilantro, garlic, and freshly squeezed lime juice to add to the burrito. My grocer didn’t have any ripe Hass avocados the day I made this dish, so I just substituted with the large green avocados. I am not sure of their exact name, we just call them Florida avocados. I do not usually buy the Florida avocados though, because they are much lower in the healthy fats than Hass avocados. They are great for dieters, or as a mayonnaise substitution. Add pico de gallo to finish, which is simply chopped tomato, cilantro, onion, and a little salt.
- 2 lbs top sirloin, sliced in strips
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Preheat a large skillet. Add spices, salt and pepper to sliced beef. Toss to coat. Drizzle skillet with olive oil. Add seasoned beef to hot skillet and brown.
- When beef is browned, add onions, green peppers and garlic. Cook until desired tenderness.
- Assemble burrito with beef, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Enjoy!