I can’t believe I have never tried tiramisu before, it was too good. I found several different types of recipes, but I went with the type of recipe that uses eggs, with no cooking. Just be sure to get your eggs from a trusted source.
Yield: Serves 4
1 package lady fingers (about 36)
3 eggs, separated
1 cup heavy cream
1 – 8 oz package Mascarpone cheese
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 teaspoons sugar
1 cup espresso or very strong coffee
2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
3 tablespoons Kaluha Liqueur
1/4 cup grated bittersweet chocolate
1. Brew coffee and add to a small shallow bowl that’s big enough to dunk the lady fingers. Add Liqueurs to coffee.
2. Get three large mixing bowls. In one bowl, add egg whites. In another bowl, add egg yolks and 2 tablespoons sugar. In the last bowl, add heavy cream, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons sugar.
3. Beat egg whites until they have soft peaks. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until glossy. Clean beaters. Beat egg yolks and sugar until light in color. Add Mascarpone cheese to egg yolks, beat until well-incorporated and fluffy.
4. Clean beaters and beat cream until it is thick. Then fold cream into the bowl with the egg yolk and Mascarpone cheese mixture. Then fold in egg whites. Very gently incorporate, trying to keep the mixture as light and fluffy as possible.
5. Dip lady fingers in coffee for 3-4 minutes on each side. Then layer lady fingers, filling and grated chocolate in a trifle bowl, a 8 x 8 casserole, or any other 2 quart or more container.