Homemade Mayonnaise with Olive Oil
This is a delicious homemade mayonnaise recipe. This was the first time that I had made mayonnaise from scratch. It was so fast, easy, and delicious. I will never go back to store bought mayonnaise. I had made a quick meal of hamburgers, and soon realized I was out of an essential condiment. I was not able to run out for more mayonnaise, and then I realized I had seen homemade mayonnaise on a few cooking shows, so I decided that I would give it a try. I adapted this recipe from the Alton Brown mayonnaise recipe. I used only olive oil, and more lemon juice. This is a beautifully tangy and creamy perfect mayonnaise. The next night I had to make the all American classic, BLT, just so I could enjoy this wonderful mayo again. Since then, I have been slathering this lovely decadence all over everything. And the funny thing was, before, I hardly ate mayo. I thought it was a little gross. But this homemade mayonnaise will turn you into a mayo lover for sure, it is absolutely wonderful!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 pinches sugar
- the juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Combine egg yolk, salt, dry mustard, and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk to combine, by hand, or with an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. You can also use a blender or food processor, but an electric mixer with the whisk attachment is the preferred tool.
- Add lemon juice and vinegar, whisk again.
- Now while whisking, drizzle in the olive oil, very slowly. This is where an electric mixer will come in handy. Continue drizzling slowly until an emulsion has formed, and all oil is incorporated into the egg.
- Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.