Lemon Poppy Seed Cole Slaw
Poppy seeds add an unexpected surprise to this traditional dish. The dressing is slightly sweet with a touch of spice added by dry mustard. I love sweet coleslaws, but do not care for the traditional mayonnaise based dressing. This recipe is a great alternative that is full of flavor. I like to serve this with my pulled pork. The lemon in the dressing would also compliment seafood. Wilting the cabbage helps to infuse the flavors of the dressing into the vegetables. Napa cabbage would also be a great substitution.
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 sweet onion, slivered
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Prepare vegetables. In a stainless steel mixing bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk well. Add vegetables.
- Place stainless steel bowl over low heat and toss slaw till it is just barely wilted. Refrigerate until ready to serve.