Spicy Orange Chicken
Spicy orange chicken is one of my favorite Chinese takeouts. This is a light version full of flavor, but not full of sugar. Making your favorite Chinese takeout at home insures quality ingredients. There is less fat and sugar, and you can eat more without feeling guilty. For this recipe, I added ginger and garlic for extra flavor. The tangy orange flavors pair wonderfully with the dried chili peppers. You can add as many peppers as you want, until you get the desired heat level. Having a toddler, I have to keep things at a mild to moderate heat level. Serve this chicken with extra broccoli for nutrition. You can easily cook the broccoli in the sauce by adding in the last few minutes of cooking. This way the broccoli will retain its crunch. Serve with steamed white or brown rice.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite-size pieces
- kosher salt
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 beaten egg
- oil for frying
- the zest and juice of 2 medium Florida oranges, or 1 large California orange
- 1/2 cup spicy Asian vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup corn starch dissolved in 1 cup water
- Several dried chili peppers, add to taste
- steamed rice
- 2 cups broccoli
- Add oil to deep fryer or to large skillet. Preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees. Cut up chicken and salt and pepper. Add chicken to large bowl with beaten egg, and toss to coat. In another large bowl add cornstarch.
- Pick the chicken out of the egg mixture with tongs, and add to the bowl of cornstarch, toss to coat.
- Fry chicken in batches until light golden brown, being careful not to overcrowd the pan or deep fryer.
- Prepare sauce by adding orange juice, orange zest, chicken stock, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce to a boil in a saucepan.
- When the sauce comes to a boil, add the cornstarch dissolved in water. Simmer until thickened.
- Add broccoli to the simmering sauce in the last few minutes of cooking.
- In a large serving bowl, add fried chicken pieces, sauce and broccoli, and toss to combine
- Serve over steamed rice.